Tuesday 8 March 2011

Evaluation


Evaluation: Q1: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge the forms 
and conventions of a

For my media I have created a music magazine that consists of a front cover, contents page and a features article. As I had chosen the genre of 'rock' I looked at other music magazines of the same genre and listed the conventions. This allowed me to follow these conventions and base my own magazine around them. My media outcome both develops and challenges the conventions a real rock music magazine. I did this by paying attention to detail. However I have also challenged some of these conventions by looking at magazines of another genre an incorporating those conventions into my magazine. Overall my outcome follows most of the rock conventions however when creating this final outcome I went against these conventions and used some unconventional ideas to play around with and see how they worked. I have tried to make it clear what conventions I have or haven’t followed throughout my work. For example typically a rock magazine would have minimal colour and be overall very dark and plain. I have incorporated this in some aspects of my work; however I have also gone against this in a sense. My front cover is generally lighter than one you would expect to see from a rock magazine. The reason I have done this is to attract a slightly wider market with the use of colour, in the other hand I am still managing to tare\t my original audience as I have only used red, grey, white and black on my cover. I have continued this colour theme across my contents and features article to ensure that the continuity if the magazine is persistent. I was careful doing this as I did not want the pages to look to similar, I therefore used different shades of these colours on each page. I decided to name my magazine 'BAND' as this pretty much sums up the content of my magazine. I liked this name as it was short and very easy to remember.

From my research I have noticed that many big name music magazines have also got short title names, for example NME, MOJO and Q magazine. This again follows the conventions. The font that I have used was one that I downloaded from an online website called 'Dafont' I feel that the font I have used fits the appearance and vibe that I would like to give to my target audience. The effect of the font is bold, edgy and looks wore. I feel that this meets the general conception of a rock music magazine. The typical rock magazine contents is full up. I have incorporated this into my work and used various pictures and text to fill the page however I have also gone against this and used brighter colours on my contents page, which is unconventional for this genre. The background for example is white 5thius is very unusual for a rock magazine as they tend to be black white text layered on top. The overall layout of my magazine is also very similar to the one of a genuine rock magazine I felt that this was essential. The reason for this is my target audience would be familiar with this layout and find it easier to understand. The actual image on my cover is fairly unconventional in the sense that although my model looks to be a rock singer, the photograph itself is taken in a particular poise that some may see as a fashion style. My image is of one female alone, which in itself is not conventional. Many magazines feature an image of one person 0on the cove, however rock/music magazine have a tendency to feature bands on their covers. The reason I have gone against this is to ensure my cover is not too over powering and 'in the face' I felt that the image I have used not only meets my genre and appeals to my target audience but also allows me to add more text onto my cover as the subject does not take up the whole frame. My features article is most conventional as it follows the layout of a genuine music magazine and the style of writing also is the same. This is vital as my readers will need to be able to relate to the story.