Tuesday 8 March 2011

Evaluation: Q2: How does your media product represent particular social groups?


Before creating my magazine I had decoded that my target audience would be age between sixteen to nineteen. Typically they would tend to listen to music whenever possible whether it be while out and about or at home relaxing. As my magazine follows the rock/indie genre the average reader would most likely attend concerts such as 'Reading' and 'V' and be interested not only in signed artists but up an coming artists and unsigned bands. I would need to take into consideration the amount of money that my average reader would have when deciding on the cost of my magazine.

When thinking about my creating my magazine I decided to look at an existing rock star. From my own knowledge I knew of a female rock singer called 'Taylor Momsen' I decided to take pictures that resemble her style. When choosing my models I thought carefully about how I wanted to take my images. The images that I actually took were of a friend of mine. The reason that I decided to use her was because I felt that she was photogenic and could take relatively similar photographs as Taylor Momsen. I tried to create an image that my target audience could relate to, I therefore thought about the social stigma attached to the 'rock' genre. This tends to be edgy and out there, so when taking my photographs I decided it would be a good idea to dress my model in this style. I did this using fur, leather and denim clothing. I felt this would be a good idea as the target audience I am aiming my product on would also be the type of teenagers that would dress this way and have their own identity. In the pictures above is an example of this, one the left is Taylor Momsen and on the right is my model. I have also made sure that my outcome represents particular social groups by looking at one specific genre of music. However although my genre of music is rock I have manipulated this so that my target audience will range from fans of rock, indie and even heavy metal. The reason I did this was to ensure that my target audience was specific enough to create my magazine to meet their needs yet at the same time not narrowing it down too much so that my profit margin would be too small. I did this by using dark colours such as black and grey within my magazine, the reason I did this is because these are the colours generally associated with this social group of rock fans. This will therefore attract the right audience to magazine near enough straight away. The style of writing I have followed is also conventional as this is a key part of the magazine. My genre can easily be identified by the font and style of writing used throughout my magazine. If I had followed an unconventional style of writing for example if my writing was too formal, this would overall put me at a disadvantage as my target audience would not purchase my product, and the amount of consumers would deteriorate having a detrimental effect on my business.