Tuesday 8 March 2011

Evaluation: Q3: What kind of media institution might distibute your media product and why?


My product would be distributed as a hard copy and would be available to purchase from supermarkets, newsagents and record stores. My product would be sold in a record store as they tend have a wide variety of products like mine. This is also a prime area for my target audience. However so that I am not restricting my product to much I would also sell my product in some supermarkets such as Tesco. This for most is a fairly accessible shop to purchase from. This also matches my cover price. My cover price being £2.50 is reasonable when purchased from shops such as this. I would also create a ‘BAND’ website where my consumers could find out when the next issue will be released and what the content will be. By creating this page it will create more awareness’ of my magazine and appeal to a wider market, therefore increasing my profit.  I think that IPC Media would be good to distribute my media product as they are very successful with distributing magazines such as NME. When researching into institutions I came across this rather impressive statement on the ipc website.  ‘IPC Media produces over 60 iconic media brands, with print alone reaching almost two thirds of UK women and 42% of UK men – almost 26 million UK adults – while our websites collectively reach over 20 million users every month.’ I therefore think this will be good to use as my magazine is similar to NME however our target audiences are different and there would therefore be the necessary gap in the market for my product.